
So I decided just tonight that I wanted to start this blog. I've never been one for blogging (well except for the Xanga days... remember those?) but I have been following a few fashion/style blogs for a while and I'm hooked.
Tonight I was continuing with this paper for my Monsters in Literature class. Sounds like a joke... kinda is. But my task was to compare monsters in medieval texts with the modern-day monsters. Of course, I chose Disney monsters. I compared Shrek and Beauty and the Beast with Grendel from Beowulf and some other random literature like the Wife of Bath's tale! It was interesting to realize the theme that ugliness is the ultimate curse and that once you're beautiful life is good. People wonder why the beauty industry is so hot and why plastic surgery is running rampant but we've been taught these messages since we were tots. These messages have been around since the medieval times... probably before. Today, so many campaigns are out there stressing that you don't have to look like a Victoria's Secret model (e.g. Dove's new "Real Beauty" campaign) but I think it's going to take a while to change everyone's way of thinking.
Don't get me wrong... I loveeeee fashion and getting dolled up. I'm that girl that wears heels to class every day and is constantly asked "Why are you so dressed up?" No reason... I just love feeling like I look my best. :) I just wish that looking good was an option- not a mandate.
No comments:
Post a Comment